They Are Responsible for Engineering Special Semiconductors for the Largest Space Missions in History
The tally of spacecraft in operation today accounts for chiefly over tens of thousands. Within these exploration vehicles, communication satellites, navigational satellites and observational satellites incorporate specially designed semiconductors inserted by the engineers of one single tech company. A group of engineers skillful enough to build semiconductors that can defy the harsh conditions of space. These semiconductors withstood and withstanding five of the largest galactic explorations in history: Curiosity, Hubble, Gaia, ISS and New Horizons. Who is the company behind the employ of these architects?
What company is responsible for creating reliable semiconductors for Space Missions
IR HiRel has been a force in power electronics since 1947. They specialize in not only high-reliability semiconductors for space use, but also for oil and gas drilling, undersea telecommunications and defense as well. All of their productions are qualified to European Space Agency (ESA) and Defense Logistics Agency (DLA) standards globally.
Because semiconductors are eminently sensitive to radiation, a distinct design is indispensable. Semiconductors in spacecraft vehicles must perform throughout missions despite extensivity of time.
- Curiosity has roamed Mars collectively for 8 years now. Prior to its landing, 253 days expired preliminary to reaching Mars
- The Hubble launched in 1990 and still orbits low Earth today
- The Gaia launched in 2013 and still in operation today
- The New Horizon traveled 8.5 years preliminary to reaching Pluto
Throughout these time durations in space, IR Hirel’s semiconductor technology must hold its end of the bargain. It must withstand:
- speeds at over 36,000 mph
- temperatures at just above absolute zero
- temperatures as scorching as 1600 degrees centigrade
- extremely high levels of radiation
…the list goes on for relentlessly harsh conditions of space and on alternative Planets.
6 Additional things to know about IR HiRel:
- It is an Infineon Technology Company
- Infineon is based in Neubiberg, Germany
- Infineon reported revenue of more than €8.5 billion
- They have over 46,700 people on its workforce worldwide
- A global top 10 semiconductor company
- Acquired the US company Cypress Semiconductor Corporation in April 2020
Types of semiconductors created at IR HiRel
- DC-DC converters, including custom hybrids
- Rad hard and standard MOSFETs
- Rad hard MOSFETsESCC
- HiRel silicon bipolar transistors and HiRel silicon diodesESCC
- EMI filters
- Hybrids and modules
- Rad hard solid state relays
- Schottky and ultra-fast rectifiers
- Integrated circuits
What is a semiconductor?
According to Britannica.com Semiconductors — are any of a class of crystalline solids intermediate in electrical conductivity between a conductor and an insulator. Semiconductors are employed in the manufacture of various kinds of electronic devices, including diodes, transistors, and integrated circuits.
Difference between a semiconductor and a conductor
- Conductor — Any material that electrical current can flow through. Ex. copper, aluminum and steal
- Semiconductor — They have partial properties of both a conductor and an insulator. They only conduct electricity under certain conditions. They are pure material, but sometimes impurities are added to increase their degree of conductivity.
IR HiRel is a top 10 semiconductor company in the world. Engineers have successfully developed the most operable sustainable semiconductors in space technology. Their semiconductors has allowed notable space missions — contributed internationally — to carry out undeniably significant plans for the betterment of our cognizance of the cosmos.
Because of IR HiRel’s semiconductors, we now have a visual of the surface of Pluto (The New Horizon); we have soil samples captured from Mars (Curiosity); the age of the universe has been determined (Hubble); we’ve charted a 3 dimensional map of our galaxy (Gaia); we’ve developed medicines from protein crystals effective against cancer (ISS) and much, much more. Oh! If you’re conjecturing, yes, IR HiRel designed semiconductors for the most recent large space mission by NASA: Perseverance.
IR HiRel: Semiconductors in Space - Infineon Technologies
Hirel - experience how two semiconductor space travel projects help make life more comfortable on earth. ► Read about…
HiRel - Infineon Technologies
Infineon is your source for high-reliability electronics for space use. Our flight-proven HiRel products are used…
Semiconductors conductors insulator
The advent of the semiconductor has revolutionised our lives, since it is the basis of all integrated circuits and…